New Base of Operations
Well the move went alright, in so much that only 4 items were broken. Still waiting to hear the movers side of it, but I’m sure that will be an angry rant for another day. I am certain I will at least get some money back for replacing the damaged items.
But, with the new place I do actually have something that is a bit of a novelty since having kids: a dedicated workspace for hobbies.
Not the best by some standards but I have all my books and computer for easy access, my miniatures drawers in easy access (only a few are pictured here), and of course beer. No bar fridge or coffee maker here…I’m pretty sure they would be the same as requesting a divorce.
But what is that mound of plastic I’m sure you are curious. Definitely not the usual 6mm fare I post.
Right before I packed for the move I was browsing through the web and saw Wargames Factory had sprues of their Persians on sale for very cheap. I discussed it with the wife since it was an unplanned expense and she came back asking me for her own unplanned purchase. Score.
So I quickly checked the Early Achaemenid Persian list and realized I would need maybe 5 sprues for the Persian contingent of an army.
But I would pay more for shipping than the models. That had me thinking. I eventually wanted to do a Greek DBA army. They could face Galatians as a viable force, and the purchases for an Ancient Britons army could let me play Galatians. Sure, the Greeks could also face the Romans but that is a bit historically inaccurate. So an army I wanted just because they look cool (actually two Greek armies so they could face each other) now has their stereotypical opponent.
So they could be viable. So I crunched the numbers and realized that getting 24 sprues, a box of Persian cavalry and a box of Numidians to convert would give me 2 complete Early Achaemenid Persian armies – coincidentally the number of Greek armies I wanted to do.
I have made a bit of a dent in those models:
Of the eventual 8, here are three units of sparabara (8 Bow in DBA). I gave them all a bit of character with varying positions of the shield and ranking to give some diversity.
The first unit of cavalry I completed. A few minor conversions including Numidian parts, but still keeping the overall Persian appearance.
Left to Right: Bow, Horde, Spear. Front Row: Psiloi.
I tried to mix these up so they all have a varied appearance. I am trying to capture the army of the empire look without going into the realm of silliness that is 300. Once a bit of paint is applied they will definitely appear different with varied dress and skin colour.
For those wondering, I am using the DBA 2.2 list I/60 (a):
1×3 Cav (General), 1×3 Cav, 1×2 Light Horse, 4×8 Bow, 1×3 Bow, 1×3 Auxiliaries, 1×2 Psiloi or 4 Spear, 1×2 Psiloi, and 1×7 Horde.
This is the army that fought Thermopylae. To field the later war army – I/60 (c) – I am short 2×3 Bow and 2×3 Auxiliaries to be able to field all the options of that army. I cannot find a cheap chariot so I have opted out of that option for the General.
This doesn’t mean everything is roses on the miniature front. I have not fully unpacked my miniatures and I am certain there is damage. After peaking at the HOTT fantasy army, I see that I need to re-attached a few models to their bases. The Romans came out with a few bent spears which I quickly fixed. I am certain other damage has occurred. The coming months will reveal how much repair work is needed.
So while nowhere near a fair fight, I may end up painting the Persians and Early Imperial Romans in close succession. Maybe that might mean the Ancient Britons and Greeks actually get ordered sooner.
I hope something here captured some imagination.