As most of my regular readers have probably forgotten, I do have an Early Achaemenid Persian army in progress (or sitting getting dusty if honesty is your thing).
Anyways, I do have a bit of progress. In fact I have completed 50% of the remaining units this weekend. For those keeping score, that means I painted 1 unit.
This cavalry unit in DBA will be my General. I wanted the fact that he was a combat leader shine through so I painted him similarly to the Immortals. Slightly different since no horseman would ever wear white (Austrian Napoleonic horseman stay quiet).
I made my own banner by added a bit of paper to a lance. I cut out my shape, liberally covered it in white glue. Curl while drying and presto – instant banner. I was stuck on what to do. I wanted a pretty and bright banner but that would be historically inaccurate. In fact, as near as I can grasp from my research, during this period a Persian “banner” was more of a plank on a staff.
So I compromised and did a plain cloth banner. I figured purple was simple enough. If I get bored with it, I may go back and either paint on the two-headed eagle or some piping.
I have also made some progress on dungeon modules:
I have created a set of stairs. Normally these will mark the entrance to the dungeon. A fairly simple affair, the stairs line up with a level above exactly…the extra step on the stairs is to make the last step flush with the floor tiles of the next level.
Yet another corridor section. The broken pottery and stacks of sacks give a cluttered feel.
And a shot of the stairs with the corridor. I wanted a minimalist approach so they could easily match any piece while an ornate set of stairs might not fit as well.
Now when we last left Marius, the intrepid explorer he was pondering what treasure to open first. He chose the chest…
In Soviet Russia, chest choose YOU!
I painted this up quickly and am quite happy with the effects it evokes. I may go back and rust wash the “metal” parts. I am also considering a bit more high-lighting of the “wood” and a few washes to blend the red into the wood. It is a bit over-exposed in the picture, in reality the transition from wood to gums is a lot more subtle. Of course it still needs to be based.
I also got lazy with the mold lines and made them the gum line where I found I missed them.
Hopefully something here inspired you today. Maybe you too can make a dent in that forgotten army.