Scope of a Project
So this evening I finished off the storage room and a few other modules (yes those pictures will follow, let me ramble for now) and wondered to myself, just how does this all look together. So I took the time to lay the modules out on the rug in my work area. Naturally my table is loaded down and I couldn’t be bothered to take the trips up the stairs for a prettier background.
Apologies for the rug, it is rather LOUD.
Although not too far into the project, I do have a sizeable collection of modules thus far. I have 4 finished end pieces (including stairs), 6 corridors, 2 corners, a four-way intersection, and two rooms. Oh yes, and a portcullis and door. Oh, and 8 treasure tokens (not pictured). Whew, that is a lot to look at. It all packs away nicely on a single shelf though, so it is tough to see how much there is.
Once a few models (and the treasure) are added it looks like a lot more.
When all is laid out, the treasure really blends in…a good thing since it was the effect I was aiming for. The miniatures seem to fit too, well except for those awful bases. I really do need to figure out what I am going to do for them. I want to keep them flexible for other uses (and was intending to add flock to the sand) but they seem out of place in the dungeon. Then again, it also helps them to pop out since otherwise they do blend in well with my muted colour choices.
A close-up of the storage room. Wait, why is that module behind it?
Remember regular readers I mentioned a secret in this room.
A secret door.
And for a few more close-ups.
From behind the secret door is barely obvious, and only then if you know what to look for. Excellent work by Mr Hirst on this mold.
I think this room turned out very well and creates another dynamic combat room. The addition of treasure makes it even more crowded, but there is still enough room and good cover from any approaches.
I do have a few other modules on the go as well. Below are pictures of another room (the Well) and another dead-end.
And close-ups of the well with the elven mage for scale.
A couple of buckets add to the character, but I am regretting gluing them down. I expect they will break during painting which is sad as I have not had too much luck in popping those out without breaking them.
I have to say I am enjoying the set-piece approach this project allows. Plus, forcing myself to paint them when I have enough done keeps each stage small and manageable and the project on track. The part I like is planning each piece and the new elements I want to introduce. So while plain corridors can get boring, and adding odds and sods stays fresh for only so long, the new ideas like tapestries, spider webs, libraries, and so forth keep the project fresh. The next room in the works is a small throne room/audience chamber that will have quite a few different elements. After that it is back to plain old corridors and corners…with the embellishments I mentioned.
Hopefully something here inspired you today, if nothing else to plan your own modular dungeon.