With a bit of spare time today I managed to do a quick paint on a monster miniature.
As the pictures show several angles, I could try venturing front, side rear…or leave it to your imagination.
This monster is one of my favorite DnD creatures as it fits into the imagery of the Mythos creatures. The first adventure I ran in DnD 4th made use of this creature as the final fight. Unfortunately it was bested by the clever mages in the party when they realized they could keep their distance and calmly shoot it to death with spells. Oh well.
Of course the action shot shows our poor heroes facing almost certain death…or insanity.
All in all I think this monster took about 2 hours of work so I think very good results for very little effort.
Hopefully something inspired you today, if nothing else to dust off your summoning circles.
I never really saw goblins as a the most educated of creatures and naturally expect them to mispronounce their own names. In my fevered imagination I see them as something a bit creepy, silly, and definitely dangerous. Like the Gremlins.
My expose on goblins is of course due to the fact I managed to get a few painted today.
These goblins are all Reaper Bones, the vinyl line. These painted up fairly well, but I will be the first to admit the mold lines are fiddly to clean off the bones models. I think my strategy going forward will be to carefully trim the characters and important bosses and just remove most of the fairly obvious ones on the gribblies.
For the torches I went with a series of wet-blends from dark brown/red up to yellow. Good table top effect but held up close (especially from underneath) and the technique is obvious. The muted browns and rusty weapons make these rather drab critters look more natural.
That being said, as a source of miniatures for mass combat or a variety for skirmish it is a good choice. I bought 8 goblins for less that $5 US – so no matter how fiddly they are it is a nice combination of the detailed pewter figs with a fraction of the cost of even plastic miniatures by most fantasy manufacturers. I would need to change scale to find plastic models for cheaper.
Of course with them finished I should provide the action…
Things don’t look good for these hapless goblins. How will they ever manage to hold off a dwarf berserker with a bad attitude?
From some unknown spot, the goblins manage to pile their hoarded loot in front of the hero. Surely this will save them.
Nope. In the words of the gnome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UqFPujRZWo), adventurers see monsters just like trick or treating. Giving away the treasure doesn’t really help though.
The astute reader will notice the side tapestries are now hanging. Here are some better angles.
Hopefully something inspired you today, if nothing else it gives you something to chuckle about when the trick or treating kids come knocking.
Between work, kids and even getting a cold it has been a while since I managed to update here, so my apologies to the regular readers who missed their biweekly dose of miniatures.
This update sees a couple of projects finished and my attempt to show off something new.
I take no credit for the origin of this idea, but I tried it out and it worked pretty good.
Real world tapestries shrunk down in a photo editor and printed. I have read most folks recommend using textured paper to get the fabric look, but I just used cardstock. If you paint the edges with a neutral colour it blends in. The hanging rods are nothing more than toothpicks cut to length. These are still drying, but once hung…well here’s another example.
The narrow patches of wall between the pillars will be the spot the two narrow ones above will be hung. Barring the addition of those tapestries, I would consider this room done…Action shot.
I also finished off another corridor section. This makes use of the small fieldstone molds and some timber to evoke a sealed passage. Unpainted, I wasn’t sure how it would look. Painted, I am happy with the result.
Obviously the patched wall can stand in for a “trick”.
In reviewing posts, I realize I have never actually shown off what my doors look like. These are all more or less the same, as I have a bunch sitting on my desk I bulk painted. I do a bit of sanding on the bottoms for the doorway that is too small.
Hopefully something here inspired you today, if nothing else to try adding those bits of flavor and character that really makes terrain unique.
This was a short update, but as more time is available, hopefully it will mean more updates, if not bigger ones. My next update may see a report on the playtest of my home-made dungeon crawl system, so stay tuned.