Spiders in the Attic
A bit of hustle and bustle at home has kept me from doing hobby time, but I did find a bit of time to finish off a module that has been a long time in coming, the Web Room.
I have to be honest that I learned a lot on this piece. That’s code word for I made a lot of mistakes. First, I used a new glue. It is a lot more fluid than the others versions I used. Good news is it actually bonds better. Bad news is it takes a lot longer to cure and pieces kept getting jostled out of place. Second, I wasn’t as careful in my sanding like I normally am. This left many pieces just slightly lower than the others so the walls weren’t a good fit. Finally, I wasn’t using my form very well so the walls aren’t actually straight.
But enough complaining, at a quick glance I think this looks great.
The webs were made from cotton balls teased out into webs. I anchored them to the walls with white glue in a few points and stretching the cotton to reach the glue joins.
The webs on the outside wall hide some gaps where the blocks didn’t properly align. I think it helps to sell the over-run by spider look.
At the base of the balcony I have my spider egg sac. I stretched out some cotton to start winding it about itself. I think it looks pretty natural, but I’m not sold on if it sells itself as a miniature.
I recommend checking out Game Changers https://gamechangersgames.wordpress.com/2015/02/25/hot-glue-egg-sacs/ for a different style of egg sac. I’m not sure which one I prefer. Mine I tried to replicate a spider egg sac but it doesn’t really read that way…well at least to 2/3 of my focus group (my wife knew what it was but the other two folks who saw it didn’t…one even suggested I stretch out the ball of cotton).
Anyhow, like most of my posts I have the action and inspiration (hopefully). Oh, and the orange cup.