Urban Dystopia in Progress
With the weekend came a bit of spare time which naturally means some miniature work done.
I managed to throw some paint on the split level apartment building with some rambling about plaster. If you aren’t interested, scroll down to the pictures. Ooh, pretty colours.
The split level plaster did flake off a lot more than on the smaller house. There are a few reasons for this. First, since it wasn’t continuous, I think the plaster had a tougher time relying on itself for support. This is coupled with the lack of cardboard to absorb the water and bond too. Note: try sanding the foamcore to help the plaster adhere. Second, I think I let it dry too much. The fully dry plaster was brittle while the paint helps to seal and reinforce it. Note: don’t let it dry for more than a day before painting. Third, I put it on thin and smooth…too thin and smooth. The thicker areas stayed on and kept the concrete look I was aiming for. Note: be generous with slathering it on. Still with me? Hopefully you take heed of my mistakes to save yourself trouble.
As the garish colours attest to, I was aiming for the bright and cheery look many apartment buildings tend to display paired with the tradition of brightly coloured and cheery slums. As with the first building, I put the colour patches on in an irregular fashion to look like chipped and faded paint. Only one tone for yellow and red, but with smudging with fingers and uneven brushing it looks like a few shades.
The Dremel got a bit of a work-out today as I repurposed a vertical fan. This is part of the outer casing that reminded me of a sheet-metal structure. I added card reinforcement and the door and outer face panel to give a coherent feel. I will paint this in a faded primary colour with the metal (and rust) peeking through in a few spots. Nice and sturdy, this piece will give a bit of variety without being fragile.
This is a bit of a landmark for me. This marks the first time I have broken down appliances for terrain. In addition to the Quonset hut, I have parts for a few generators and gears and gubbins. More interesting for pieces may be the broken DVD player waiting for my eager hands.
And of course the action shot. My Necromunda Scum is facing down a half squad…and with his plasma pistol things don’t look good for the Imperial Guardsmen.
Hopefully something inspired you today, if nothing else it shows what a bit of work and experimentation can give you.