Breaking the Curse
Since the inception of my blog of so many years ago, there has been a disturbing trend. It seems whenever I post a WIP for a miniature, that miniature tends to languish unfinished for quite some time. There have been a couple of exceptions, but I did actually finish a miniature today.
This isn’t my best work to date, but it was my attempt to blend a new flesh tone. I was trying for the dark West/Southern Asian skin tone predominate in India and Pakistan, but I will let my readers be the judge on the end result. Yes, I know the hair is the wrong colour. She is also wearing a Japanese headdress with an Egyptian staff and a Frank Frazetta-esque outfit.
The cloth photographs well, but there are some imperfections. The biggest issues stem from the primer. For the last couple figs I have primer I noticed the primer left clumpy residue. That alone is the reason for some unfinished figs. If you plan on painting Bones, this is something I have noticed more than on other figs. I am not sure if it a property of the material and the primer or the material holding onto moisture or dust.
On that note, I have started to hand prime my figures. As a result of the latest wash/base coat, I decided to try a few new flesh techniques. I am going to try layers with washes over a base coat for this guy. I am also trying to put the tattoo under the skin if you will: I applied blue around the eyes and arms prior to the heavy flesh base. It is faded quite a bit but the effect remains.
Hopefully something inspired you today. I know it was a short post, but I hope to get up into a semi-regular posting schedule again.