Hosercanadian does urban renewal

I almost feel like a teenage girl on Facebook with how often I have been posting lately, but I had another free day (slowly running out of those before I go back to work) so I decided to turn my attention to my city.  Yes, my last building is waiting to get painted, but I have wanted to do shacks for a long time but haven’t had corrugated sheets (either cardboard or plasticard) to do it.  So instead I decided I would try plain card to see how it looked.

Urban terrain shack.  Nightslip by Reaper Miniatures.

Urban terrain shack. Nightslip by Reaper Miniatures.

Urban terrain shack.  Nightslip by Reaper Miniatures.

Urban terrain shack. Nightslip by Reaper Miniatures.

I quickly threw together a few free standing buildings.  I made use of 4 different thickness and texture of card to create some variety.  For the first building I intentionally went with uneven walls.  It looks good, but had some issues with the roof.  Lesson here: even build a sturdy roof for the haphazard sheets to rest on.  After the glue dried I quickly slapped some paint on them and have them here to show off.  I am not convinced my cloth and plastic bag doors really read the way I want them to, they aren’t as obvious as I hoped.

Urban terrain shack.

Urban terrain shack.

Urban terrain shack.

Urban terrain shack.

Urban terrain shack.

Urban terrain shack.

Urban terrain shack.

Urban terrain shack.

I chose to go with grey paint instead of metallic.  As with all my greys, I mixed it myself.  This also left me the option to lighten or darker individual sheets of metal.  As this was a proof of concept, I didn’t go overboard on the coloured sections.  The next batch may still have signs on the sheets or decals or something.  I will also look at the cobbled together “row house” buildings too.

What was entertaining for me in building these was I was actually solving problems the way the builders of these do in real life.  Hmm, these two panels don’t line up, I need a sheet that goes between them.  Crap, the roof is caving in and still has holes…cover it with a tarp.  Crap the “tarp” keeps moving…weigh it down.  By the end I felt invested in these enough to consider living in them.  Ok, maybe not.  But I will rent them out for a very reasonable rate.

The simple paint scheme was finished with brown washes, rust washes, and spot orange washes for bright blossoms of rust.  Overall I think these shacks would fit in nicely in Mogadishu, Mexico City, or just about any sprawling slum.

Urban sheet metal fence.

Urban sheet metal fence.

Urban sheet metal fence.

Urban sheet metal fence.

Also started today were a couple of sheet-metal haphazard walls.  They will come in handy to break line of sight, and keep the slum sections colourfully segregated.

On the topic of terrain, I did a whole bunch more garbage bags and did a test with white glue to attach them to Styrofoam.  After 5 hours I can tell you the glue is still wet.  Once it is dry I will see if it is sturdy enough.  If not, I will have to find a non-volatile base to super glue bags to.

Now the question is how do the new shacks fit in with the other buildings?

Sci Fi urban terrain and slums.

Sci Fi urban terrain and slums.

Sci Fi urban terrain and slums.

Sci Fi urban terrain and slums.

Looking at them, I would say pretty well.  What is missing is more of them.  More of the shacks, more of the buildings (and more levels) and more urban debris.  I had considered doing some stylized concrete benches, and I think I will.  It will capture the whole failed neighbourhood theme, and give a more clearly defined park.  I also need advertisements: billboards, bus stop signs, placards on garbage bins, and so on.  It is the one constant, even in the impoverished areas.  This will mean I need to do up a few businesses too.

Bus shelter and street lamp WIP.

Bus shelter and street lamp WIP.

In the background of the shots you will see two projects I did yesterday but didn’t post: bus shelters and street lights.  And of course a close up for better viewing.

For the bus shelters I opted for concrete style for something sturdy and easily graffiti tagged.  It also keeps in the theme of a planned community that failed.  Maybe it was a hastily built city, who knows.  I do intend to add a third wall in “glass” using clear plastic from blisters with advertisements slotted in between.

The street lights are not glued yet for a reason.  That is an LED and the post itself is a hollow tube.  I drilled and filed the Hirst Arts column bases to slide the tubes in place.  When I feel inclined to mess with batteries again I will have working street lights.  I might switch the red for yellow though.

I hope this post inspired you today, if nothing else to take the plunge on that project you have been putting off because you lacked that one component.  Improvise and see where it takes you.  Oh, if it takes you to a place where the buildings look like this, you probably took a wrong turn.

 

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: