Impending doom (part 2)
As the title implies, I have had a bit of hobby time this weekend. Yesterday was fairly productive hobby-wise, waiting for a cable-guy who never arrived helps for something I guess.
As I did a lot of work in sculpting Dr. Doom I felt the collection of pictures does help to show a step-by-step. In fact I took this pictures for the first time during sculpting. My reasons were completely selfish dear reader: it is easier to see mistakes when my 1″ tall model is 12″ on a computer screen. This helped me find a few errors and correct a couple of minor points.
When I last left Dr. Doom on the blog, I had a half-assed hood done. Since then, as the pictures show, I added more depth to the hood. After that cured (to prevent errant fingers from destroying my own work) I moved on to the edge of his cloak. I blended the edges to the hood and moved the edges to the front of his should pauldrons. I did consider doing some bunching, but I realized most of the detail would be covered by his brooches. Besides, most of my blending at the hood does capture where most of the folds would be based on how it falls.
Again I let it cure and I sculpted the chain. I did this by working in segments. I started by flattening the middle of where I wanted chains that lay flush against the model. After the middle was defined, I slowly smoothed out the shape until the basic form for those chains was there. Then I moved onto the same step with the perpendicular links. The holes were slowly shaped and the edges of the links where they overlapped were smoothed out. I have tried a few different tools but I find a sewing pin works best. The rounded plastic end works as a burnishing tool and helps smooth out rougher shapes. The pin means I need to work more slowly to define wider shapes but I am used to it.
After all the sculpting was done, I let it mostly cure and added thinly sliced plastic rod to the model. I pressed it into the chain to make a clear edge and then put a drop of superglue on each to attach them. Once fully cured I filled in the holes that were in the rod (a miscast rod not how they normally are).
I decided to brush on my primer to check for flaws and I was happy overall. I did notice one small mold-line I missed but I have left it as it will be easy to blend in with my painting.
I have added in the basic colours here, and finished his eyes. A very tough detail to paint, I am wanting to make sure they capture the fact he is flesh and bone under the armour. I painted his eye openings, added the whites and then did his eyelids. Once this had dried a bit I added his pupils. My base coat of grey covers up the flesh blotches I got on his armour.
The past couple days also saw me start on my next conversion project, although much less involved.
This fellow here also scales very nicely with 28mm models, and again Deano has volunteered as my scale model. Really friendly guy he is.
The conversion to Ironman is very simple really. I needed to remove the head fin and carve in the small square patch that extends red to his face. His arc reactor is shaped on the chest as the triangular shape so no conversion is needed. I have included my hand-primed pic as it shows off the details on this great sculpt.
The next stage of painting will see the blues added.
The one thing I am considering as a change is how he is based. I have considered cutting off the exhaust and pinning him more horizontal. It would be more dynamic and seem like he is trying to blast while backing away. I am torn though because this is nicely done and puts his hands right at the heads of 28mm models.
Quite a lot today, but hopefully some of it inspired you today. If nothing else it maybe gave you that nudge to try bringing your own superheroes to life.