Avengers getting assembled (3)
As the title suggests, I did find a bit more sculpting time. I squeezed in a bit yesterday morning and I did a bit while my daughter was painting.
Up first we have Captain America. I added in the knee pads above the shin guards. Originally I was considering a multi-part articulating set of knee pads like baseball catchers wear. After looking at them more closely, I realized I didn’t like how those looked while walking and I remembered the weird gait of catchers. So instead I added in the straps and called it done. Right now I am also back to thinking on fabric types for his pants. I may do some bunching in a few places, but I am back to thinking about spandex type pants again.
What has also begun to take shape are the final details. I decided to just try sculpting the helmet and face over the face blank to see how it works out. The front of his trademark mask is just taking shape now. Yes, the bottom edge does need a bit more work, but as the nose will get sculpted in there I am not too concerned. I also added the eyes about 1/3 of a millimeter too high. If I add in a chin strap to the bottom of his face it might hide it a bit better. Then again, it might not be too obvious anyways.
Behind his propped up form you will notice the hands. The left hand looks terrible in the shield for a reason: I am bulking out the basic layer to give better adhesion. I will add in the handle and the anchor points for a strap too. The strap itself will get added on over his arm once it is attached. The knuckles that will be most visible got all my attention and very much look the part.
Also getting a bit of attention has been Thor. The third part of his armour was added yesterday, and I do have a couple of rough spots on the back. This stage also had a small gap: I underestimated the height I needed to raise the middle layer to. The back will likely not get tidied up. It isn’t a hard fix, but the form is present. The cape of course will cover all of this work, so it is the edges and sides that might be visible, so they are the parts I spent the most time on.
Today I started adding in the details of the armour. Obviously the first four of the six discs have been cut from a styrene rod. I blended them in with greenstuff, in fact the lower left one is a true circle…now. I also added in a bit of a flame motif into the front of the breastplate. I was going to do a series of angular overlaps much like the costume from the latest movies and decided against it. I am pretty happy with how this has turned out so far. I may add more details to the breastplate, I haven’t really decided yet.
With both of these sculpts I have had a big picture idea and the small details (and sometimes not so small) get decided on by whim. I find taking the breaks between helps. Besides the obvious part about the curing time, it also gives me a chance to reevaluate the project.
I might be biased, but I think the helmet and detailing are starting to make both of these come alive.
My usual rambling length, but hopefully equally inspiring today. If nothing else, this should give you that nudge to experiment and be creative. The nice thing about this hobby is nobody has a life on the line or any major risks if things go wrong…so don’t be afraid to push your boundaries and take the step into the unknown.