Lurking on the Fringes
It has been quite the long gap in posts, and I am sure more than a few people will be surprised to get a messaging popping-up on an update on this blog.
I have been quite busy with work and social activities the past couple months with little time for hobby stuff. I have managed to squeeze a bit of time to play 40K in, but mostly because I was asked to take part in a league that has games every two weeks (so fairly easy to manage). Today’s update is mostly a few odds and sods that I have been working on, with absolutely nothing having been completed.
As 40K has been the bulk of my hobby time, a few of my Tau models have been getting some paint. Although the basic hull is about 90% done, this needs a lot of work. The white is fairly smooth, I just need to clean up the mess from my black-lining and of course paint the crew and compartment.
I have enjoyed playing my Tau and I did buy a few models, but I have committed less than $100 to this army between getting models in trade and on sale.
As the title picture shows, I have started a new terrain piece for the urban terrain. I have decided to use some of the random plastic pieces from my junk box to make a power relay station which is also built on a piece of MDF. I clad the outside in a foamcore wall and built the small out-building and have called it done. There are a few other minor details but they won’t really look like much until it is painted.
Another couple WIP have been my Reaper figures. I got quite the large assortment of Bugbear miniatures in Bones 2 and I have just started painting them. I had put on the base coats on a few of them when I decided I wanted to build one up to finished on the skin tone. At that point, I had a friend contact me and ask if I could teach him how to paint…that night.
So he brought over a few figs and I showed him a few techniques, but these bugbears were the most handy. Between the different stages of progressive layering he was able to see how I paint and he even threw paint on a few while he waited for paint to dry. By the end of the night he had a good enough for table-top miniature for his paladin character in the weekly DnD campaign he is playing in. He also decided to gift a few minis to his group and my box of Bones turned up 3 members of the group for him, leaving him with just one more fig to get for Christmas gifts. As for the bugbear, I will still need to finish his armour and make his fur stand out more with highlights and a wash. And the weapon of course needs lots of work too.
Also getting a bit of paint is the Roper. Reaper calls it a Stone Lurker to avoid lawsuits, but it is obviously the iconic underground horror the Roper. I am not sure what else I want to do with this guy. A wash or two on the tentacles will tone them down for starters and I am not very happy with the mouth on top. The eye needs a bit of work too. In other words, it is very much still a work in progress.
I have always been fascinated by that monster since I was a kid and I loved the artwork in the AD&D Monster Manual as a kid. Something about it just seemed so unnatural and weird. Funny thing is, I have never faced one in a game nor have I used one as a monster in a game I ran.
Anyhow, now that I have a painted miniature, maybe it will make an appearance at some point in a game.
So a bit of a short post with a lot of variety, but hopefully still inspirational. If nothing else, it shows that even with a long hiatus from hobby time it is possible to jump back into things.