Reptile evolution

Also known as WIP.

I have decided to start on Cinder by Reaper, the only dragon I got with my Bones 2 kickstarter.

This is one huge dragon, and a bit intimidating to paint for that reason alone.

Maleficent from Disney's Sleeping Beauty.  Image used without permission.

Maleficent from Disney’s Sleeping Beauty. Image used without permission.

Cinder by Reaper Miniatures

Cinder by Reaper Miniatures

Cinder by Reaper Miniatures

Cinder by Reaper Miniatures

Cinder by Reaper Miniatures

Cinder by Reaper Miniatures

Cinder by Reaper Miniatures

Cinder by Reaper Miniatures

As I rambled in a previous post, I thought the horns resembled Maleficent so I was going to go with a black and purple dragon.  In fact, I did a test pattern on the colour scheme on one of my dragon hatchlings already.

Although tough to clearly see, this giant lizard does have the initial coats of purple on the belly and membranes.

I have also decided to do something I saw was very striking on another dragon: the wing membranes will be two-tone.  The underside will be light purple and the back just a shade lighter than the body, staying an almost black with purple highlights.

I will be taking my time with this one, the biggest time commitment I see being the brush-work.  I intend to highlight each scale individually as opposed to my ham-fisted broad-brush dry-brushing that would normally be slapped on it.

The wings will be a bit of an issue as I am seeing my purple keeps bleeding through black with each coat…and I don’t want a bright purple like I did on my hatchling.

Kar Drakir by Reaper converted to a dragonborn paladin.

Kar Drakir by Reaper converted to a dragonborn paladin.

Kar Drakir by Reaper converted to a dragonborn paladin.

Kar Drakir by Reaper converted to a dragonborn paladin.

Also getting a bit of work is a new DnD model.  A new player joined the group with a dragonborn paladin.  As I only have one dragonborn model, the selection wasn’t hard.  His character was armed and armoured slightly differently.  So I chopped off the sword, added a javelin, and put on some quick plates to have it read more as plate.

A quick a dirty post, light on text but with lots of pics this time.  Hopefully this was inspirational to you, if nothing else to nudge you onto that large project you have been putting off.

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: